Friday, June 6, 2014

Review: A Shocking Delight by Jo Beverley








From five-time RITA Award winner Jo Beverley comes an exciting new Regency romance in which a lady must risk all to win love.

The man she shouldn’t want. The woman he shouldn’t marry...

David Kerslake, smuggling master from The Dragon's Bride, is now Earl of Wyvern and must survive the ton as well as the Preventive Officers.

Lucy Potter, daughter of a wealthy merchant, is more interested in trade than in the men after her dowry. When forced to have a London season, she sets out to enjoy herself rather than to find a husband. But once she meets the notorious Earl of Wyvern, her resolve weakens, and when they kiss, it dissolves—even though her instincts warn he’s dangerous.

Wyvern has a dark secret, which means he must win a rich bride. Lucinda Potter seems ideal. Not for her beauty and her lively charm, but because at first meeting she seems unlikely to realize the truth.

As he comes to know her, however, as they spar and kiss, he realizes she’s too clever and honest by far. Marrying Lucy would mean living a lie with the woman he has come to love..








A SHOCKING DELIGHT
WRITTEN BY: JO BEVERLEY
REVIEWED BY: APRIL EPLEY



     This was my first novel I have read by Jo Beverley. I was really excited to read this book as I had heard many great things about this author. Maybe it is because I have not read her other stories, but this book did not keep my interest up like I expected. I did read the whole book thinking that the excitement and not wanting to put it down would happen, unfortunately it did not happen for me. There was a great story line and I did enjoy that.
     The writing was decent and I did like the plot idea. There are a few twists I did enjoy and that kept me going. There are times when it seemed there was excess filler in it. That was the problem for me I think. I am giving this book 3 stars. It was decent, just not for me.
     Lucy Potter lost her mother a year ago. Her father is remarrying and it seems to leave no place for the intelligent, book smart young Lucy. Lucy heads to London and stays with her Aunt. Her father believes it is time for Lucy to marry so with her being in London she can attend the Season. Sadly it is a keep quiet and do not let them know how smart you are kind of thing. There are plenty who are attracted to her money and it is a bit too much for Lucy at times.
     David Kerslake-Somerford, Earl of Wyvern, (Captain Drake) is needing to find a wealthy woman to marry that will be a quiet, silent kind of a girl. He needs to save his town and needs to find a way to get away from the smuggling trade. How is he supposed to convince his small town that there are better options? David heads to London to find a wife. Specifically Lucy.

     Both of these main characters have ‘false’ characters they are pretending to be. So what is going to happen when you have to constantly pretend to be someone you are not? You will have to read the book to find out. I will be going to find some of Jo Beverley’s other books and give them a try. Maybe it would have helped if I had read those first. I will be looking forward to reading her next novel. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment